10/16/2012

Cardio and Cooking: "Potato-Dono"?

From the aftermath of the Thanksgiving Weekend relative visit extravaganza, I managed to salvage one kiwi (score!).

Things I have learned today about kiwis:
- Kiwis are great additions to smoothies. The fruit is very soft and therefore very easy to throw into a blender like bananas!
- They are rich in Vitamin C, potassium, and enzymes!
- Kiwis are actually called "Kiwifruits". Kiwis are actually birds native to New Zealand.
- Kiwifruits apparently have a bizillion different historical names in Chinese.
(It is amazing what you can learn from Wikipedia...)

Things I have learned today about frozen bananas:
- Frozen bananas are awesome.
- They are easy to add into smoothies and perform two functions - chilling the smoothie and making it nice and creamy!
- They are a great way to save bananas that have turned brown and black. If you freeze a banana with the peel still intact, the fruit inside will be good as new when you use it.
- They make a good alternative for ice cream, or even just a healthy snack!
- I should freeze bananas more often.

Super creamy smoothie action!
Creamy-Enzymatic-Ready-To-Conquer-The-Last-Midterm-Smoothie
*Makes 2 cups*
1 kiwifruit
2 x 100g Activia Red Fruit and Cereals yogurt cups
1 medium frozen banana

To freeze banana:
1. Put whole banana in sandwich bag. (You can do it without the bag, but I didn't want my whole freezer smelling like bananas. To be honest, I don't like bananas. At least not on their own. Combined with other things, I can do.)
2. Seal and freeze overnight.

To make smoothie:
1. Take banana out from freezer and set on counter.
2. Slice kiwifruit in half, and use a spoon to scoop out all the flesh into the blender.
3. Scoop out the yogurt from the 2 small containers of Activia into the blender.
4. The banana should have thawed a bit by now. Use a knife to cut off the ends of the banana. Use the knife to peel the banana vertically as you would do to a carrot. Then, break into 3 pieces and add into the blender.
5. Blend everything until smooth.
6. Be civilized and pour the smoothie into a cup to enjoy :)

I would love to make this more, but kiwifruits are like $1 each. I could get an avocado, a loaf of bread, a sweet potato, or among other things for $1 each that are all much more filling than a single kiwifruit.

On another note, while my food adventures have been kind of boring as of late, I've continued to browse food blogs in my downtime. Today, I came across the most random thing ever while reading through A Good Appetite ...

 
Yep...o_O...
 
I think I'm going to go on YouTube and watch the rest of the associated videos now.
 
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)