11/05/2012

B-b-b-baking: Cowgary Commute (Part 2: Cowgarian Cocoa Cake)

I meant to do the whole series yesterday, but honestly, I was way too tired. I ended up going to sleep after posting Part 1. Here's Part 2~

By the time E and I had gotten back to where we were staying, it was still quite early...about 8:30pm at the latest. As well, my friends like chocolate cake, so I said I would make some, and that was that. They don't do any baking, so they didn't have any baking supplies and I had to bring my own. Yes, I packed my own loaf pan, whisk, spatula, measuring cup, and freezer bags of my own cake mix, pancake mix, and sugar in my luggage. :P

There was a cake that Ochikeron made for Halloween that I liked. She used matcha powder, but I didn't have any, and figured that I might be able to substitute for it with cocoa powder to make a chocolate version. 

Things I have learned this weekend about baking in Godwin & Nick's condo:
- Baking never happens in their condo unless I do it. Correction, baking from scratch. Apparently, they have experimented with Pillsbury :P
- The air seemed to be a bit drier, which may have been a factor in the slightly subpar resulting cake.
- Their gas stove/oven is kind of freaky. When you bake something in it, it keeps making this "fwoomph bang!" at certain intervals as the metal expands.
- They didn't have any toothpicks, so I used a wooden chopstick to check the cake. I don't suggest doing that because the chopstick is too smooth. Also, if you end up putting the cake back into the oven after checking it, the big hole lets the heat in and can make the cake drier on the inside.
- Cake is eaten right after it is baked, and goes well with ice cream, but everyone is too lazy to go out and get it.
Such a weirdly-shaped cake....I think it looks weirder because there aren't really any cracks.  It also has large chopstick holes. :/
It looked a little bit better after being sliced. I managed to slice it into 12 pretty even pieces without really thinking about it :)
Simple, Light Chocolate Cake (adapted from Ochikeron)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup corn oil
2 eggs
1/3 cup + 3 tsp golden yellow sugar
2 tbsp milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together oil and 1/3 cup sugar.
3. Separate two eggs, placing the two egg whites into another clean medium-sized bowl.
4. Add the egg yolks and milk into the oil and sugar mixture one at a time until combined.
5. Sift the dry ingredients into the same mixture, fold until just combined, and set aside.
6. Whisk the egg whites in separate bowl until white and foamy, then add 1 tsp sugar. Whisk again until soft peaks form, then add another 1 tsp sugar. Whisk again until peaks become a bit stiffer, and add the final 1 tsp sugar. Whisk until glossy, and immobile.
7. Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the batter until combined.
8. Gently fold in the rest of the meringue very gently so that the batter is lightened in colour and texture.
9. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Drop the loaf pan on the counter a few times to release air bubbles, and use a spatula to draw a lengthwise incision down the centre of the cake.
10. Bake for 15 min at 350 F. Turn down the heat to 320 F and bake for another 30-35 min.
11. Remove cake from pan onto plate, slice, and serve.

It turned out okay, but it wasn't quite the result I wanted. It didn't rise as high as I would have liked, and the batter came out a little thicker than I would have wanted. The cake's texture was light and fluffy, but a little bit dry...the taste was quite faint, but I didn't mind. More cocoa powder, and possibly some chocolate chips could be added to make it more chocolatey. Just remember that because you're adding more of a dry ingredient, that you'll also need to add more liquid - probably milk. Lots of things to keep in mind for next time! :)

Whisking the egg whites by hand makes your arm a bit sore, but it saves you the cost of purchasing an electric mixer! (Or in my case, packing an electric mixer in my luggage...)

Look forward to Part 3!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)