2/17/2013

Love for the Locals: Barb and Ernie's

Barb and Ernie's German Country Inn (9906-72 Ave) is a place you'll pass by so many times. That's what happened for my family and I for so long, until one day, I asked my dad if he wanted to go with me. I get all of the gluttony from my dad, so he is always totally gung ho for eggs benedict if I ask him. Now, I've been here for a total of 10 times, and vow to return.

Today, I grabbed breakfast with P, who hadn't yet been to Barb and Ernie's. And honestly, what would be a better start to reading week than that? They open pretty early at 8:00am on the weekends, and get a pretty constantly packed house by 10:00am until about 2:00pm, but even so, the wait isn't that long. But...as always, it's nicer to beat the rush. They're also open Tuesday through Friday starting bright and early from 7:00am. Surprisingly (or not), Barb and Ernie's seems to be pretty popular among university students rather than just older folk and the German community, which is awesome.  

Pretty well across the street from Ecole J. H. Picard, the location is kind of weird, and so is the miniscule parking space, but it is definitely an Edmonton gem. As always, I am a big fan of authentic local businesses in Edmonton, so be sure to start at least one of your days with a full breakfast at Barb and Ernie's! (They also do take-out~)  

The staff and owners are all so hardworking and friendly and clearly enjoy what they do! 

It's not something a university student would be able to afford for breakfast every day as they are priced at around $11-19 per plate depending on what you get, but you shouldn't be having eggs benedict/pancakes/Belgian waffles/bratwurst/etc. every day anyways. Also, toppings for their eggs benedict range from their original ham to smoked salmon to a 7 oz. steak. My bacon eggs benedict was $10.95, I believe. I've tried the bacon, original ham, and smoked salmon eggs benedicts at Barb and Ernie's but bacon is still my favourite. First of all, it's BACON. Second of all, the ham and smoked salmon are tend to be a bit much for my limited tolerance of salt. Portion-wise, they give you a whackload of whatever you order, so all is good. Quality is always consistently delicious.

All eggs benedict orders come with half a plateful of homemade fluffy shredded hashbrowns, 2 perfectly poached eggs on an English muffin, topped with a delicious white wine Hollandaise sauce, and some pieces of fresh, seasonal fruit. I have yet to try anything aside from eggs benedict, but I wouldn't go anywhere else for it.
Barb and Ernie's - Self-proclaimed best eggs benedict in town.  I think I could second that.
The sign and the outside of Barb and Ernie's. Apparently there's a German buffet every Tuesday. I've only ever been here for the eggs benedict though. 
My go-to egg's benny in Edmonton - Bacon Eggs Benedict.
P opted for the Bratwurst Eggs Benedict. I forgot to take a picture of it, but Barb and Ernie's has their own homemade mustard which apparently goes very well with bratwurst among other things.
If you want a good eggs benedict that isn't sky high like in Hotel Macdonald, give Barb and Ernie's a try and let me know what you think!

-M

Barb & Ernie's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)