3/04/2013

Cardio and Cooking: "Get back, get back...get back to where you once belonged."

Random tidbit: I have been conditioned from birth to love The Beatles.

I've been in a bit of a rough spot lately, but it's time to pick up the pieces and keep my baby blog up and running :) We've reached the 6 month mark! Huzzah!

Today was Day 1 of my renewed life of health and fitness.

Things I have learned today about smoothies:
- You don't have to be a genius to make them. *gasp*
- They are very easy and quick to put together. It is essentially throwing random things into a magical spinning device until it becomes an oddly-coloured beverage that tastes amazing and does amazing things for you.
- You can put whatever you want in it, although it's probably a better idea to include fruits, vegetables, and the sort. Even if you do that, it doesn't necessarily taste like health which is awesome. Unless you add flaxseeds. Then it tastes like health. The gross kind. I do not like that stuff.
- Smoothies should be smoooooth...
- They are the best first thing in the morning, or first thing post-workout.

After successfully completing my 30 minute workout this morning, I decided to do my body some more good and threw together a quick smoothie. Along with it, I enjoyed a bowl of cereal with soy milk for breakfast...
Orange-Banana Smoothie (orange-banana because that's the order I put the fruit in...)
Add 1 bowl of bran flakes with sliced almonds and some soy milk, and we have a breakfast!
Quick Orange-Banana Smoothie
*1 large serving*
1 medium banana
1 navel orange
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 tsp unprocessed honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Peel the banana and orange. (Sometimes, I like to wash the outside of the orange before peeling so that I can conserve the peel to use as zest in baking and cooking.)
2. Add soy milk into blender along with banana and orange, and blend until smooth.
3. Add honey and cinnamon, and blend until evenly distributed.
4. Consume.

It's a really simple smoothie, but it has your vitamin C, potassium, and protein, among other things to start your day in an awesome way :)

I have to say...I am genuinely looking forward to getting back into shape and feeling good about myself. See you all on the other side!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)