4/03/2013

B-b-b-baking: Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread?...

This past Sunday, I had a really good dose of carbs - 4 toaster waffles, 2 toaster pancakes, and 3 cinnamon buns. Tasted awesome, but probably wasn't too good for my body. In the spirit of planning a no carbs whatsoever day some time in the not too distant future, P sent me a link to a food blog recipe for bread made of peanut butter. No flour, essentially just eggs and peanut butter, plus baking soda to help it rise.

Things that I learned today about flourless breads:
- Those on a gluten-free diet often incorporate xanthan gum and guar gum into bread products in order to substitute for the gluten in regular flours. I used to think it was a necessary thing until I discovered flours like almond flour and coconut flour which don't require the use of any gums. You only need to use 1-2 teaspoons of xanthan gum per thing you make, but you can only buy it in 1/2 pound bags, and it costs you about $13-14. You would think that it'd be a worthwhile investment because it would last a long time, but the stuff goes rancid quite easily if not stored properly. I think I'm going to invest in some almond flour, myself.
- Flourless breads are a good way to enjoy carby foods without actually eating so many carbs.
- They do not rise as much as your normal loaf, so baking soda is key.
- You can feel less guilty about consuming carby foods, but for this one...you'll probably feel guilty about eating so much peanut oil. Almond or cashew butter might be better :) I think the balance needs to be worked out a bit, but it's not bad.
- Gluten-free breads do not have to taste like health food!
- Note that eggs are not essential for cakes and breads (except certain types that require a meringue from egg whites), and can be replaced with such things as flax seeds, chia seeds, soy milk, or tofu. There are also bread products that don't even need eggs at all. One good example? Cinnamon rolls. Oh yes...

It's peanut butter...in bread form.

Since the bread didn't rise very much, I created slices by dividing the whole loaf into 6 equal squares (rectangles), and slicing each of those horizontally.
It is quite flat :( Even with the baking soda. Should try a smaller loaf pan, or double the recipe...
The bread itself is actually quite bland, and doesn't have a lot of peanut butter flavour.  So, I added peanut butter like a boss. I also didn't have much to make sandwiches with at home, so I went simple for lunch today. 
Peanut Butter Bread (adapted from 24/7 Low Carb Diner)
*Makes 6 rectangular slices*
1 cup smooth peanut butter
3 eggs
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Given all the oil going into this thing, I don't think you really need to grease the loaf pan. I did, but it slid out like nothing, and the bread is a little on the oily side. But, when in doubt, pinkies out ;P
2. Beat three eggs and add to a medium bowl along with peanut butter.
3. Stir in the lemon juice, and lastly, the baking soda. Mix until smooth and well-distributed.
4. Spread evenly in the loaf pan, and bake for about 40 minutes.
5. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely before use.

Et voila, peanut butter bread for sandwiching with peanut butter. I just love peanut butter. I could probably eat it with practically anything. (Or nothing at all). Buuuut...I would really like to try tweaking it with almond butter and maybe adding some almond flour as well. Maybe even some sliced almonds? Could be good! Who knows!

On another note, I've been thinking of some awesome fillings to try for a switch-up on cinnamon rolls. Like instead of cinnamon sugar filling, trying some berry preserves as a summery dessert. The colours would be awesome. Should totally get P to take good pictures for those. Also...matcha. I really want to bake something with matcha, and one thing would be something like a cinnamon roll minus the cinnamon, with soft, fluffy matcha dough, and a red bean paste filling...I think it would be good. Or even something savoury, perhaps?

My summer baking brain is coming out early this year (right in the brink of final exams)...sigh.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)