12/09/2013

Love for the Locals: Cornerstone Sushi-Ya

You may have noticed that I've been posting more in my cooking segment, and that's because I generally avoid going out to eat to save on costs. However, in order to try and maintain somewhat of a social life, I have gone to a few eateries here in London, Ontario.

Even though I've only been there thrice, I have decided that Cornerstone Sushi Ya (440 Clarence Street, London, ON) is my go-to place for a Japanese fix. It's a tiny shop that seats about 20, completely owned and operated by the sweetest Japanese gentleman and his wife. It's close to a kind of shady area in downtown London, but it's not so bad if you have company for dinner. (I've learned that every day from about 5pm, all the "interesting" people come out for basically a regular lurking routine and also occupy the only park in downtown -  just because.) They are open Monday through Saturday from 4:30-9pm, and in addition, Monday through Friday for lunch from 11:30am-2:30pm. They also do takeout~ ;)

Such a tiny place, but it's really cute and cozy inside.
Cornerstone Sushi Ya is actually right next door to a bigger red building housing a Japanese fusion bistro, but it looks like it'd be expensive. From the outside, it doesn't look like much, but when you step inside, you get a nice feel of a cozy little Japanese restaurant complemented with the aroma of sushi rice subtly wafting around in the air.

This was from my most recent visit with my roommate. We opted for a sushi dinner before I headed back home for the holidays, and I knew just the place. It's such a snug little shop with only a few seats at the sushi bar, and less than 10 tables in the main seating area.
The sushi bar, and hallway leading into the restaurant.


Tables in the main seating area, up the steps.

I came for dinner with my dad initially when he was helping me move here, and vowed to return. I've been back twice since then, with one of my classmates, and then with my roommate, and the lovely couple that runs the entire operation was just as warm and welcoming as on my first visit.

The restaurant definitely caters to the general London population with an entirely English menu. However, one notable characteristic of the menu was that it came accompanied with a small book containing photos corresponding to each item in the menu so that you would know exactly what you would be getting.

The quality of the fish - especially the sashimi - was to my pleasant surprise, actually quite decent! It was visibly fresh, and beautifully presented. Earlier last month, another colleague in my program arranged for a group dinner at an All You Can Eat (AYCE) sushi place where the food was below average even for AYCE. Cornerstone Sushi-Ya is a way better option.

On my first visit, I had #23, the Udon Bento Special. It came with a choice of salad or kimchi, with a bowl of udon noodle soup, and 8 pieces of California maki, all for about $10. There was also complimentary edamame :)
For the next 2 visits, I actually ordered what my dad got when he came with me, and probably one of the better deals there - #22, the Sashimi Box Bento Special. It comes with miso soup, 8 pieces of California maki with a special sauce, 2 gyoza, salad, an onigiri, and 12 pieces of assorted sashimi (tuna, hamachi, salmon, and the white one I still can't figure out). All for about $14. Plus, complimentary edamame :)
On my most recent visit with my roommate, we decided to also order a Rainbow Roll, thinking that we might not have enough food. But alas, we were conquered by the food. Instead of giving us one of those generic styrofoam take-out boxes, the hostess/udon/waitress lady (I wish I asked for her name...) gave us one of these boxes, so that our leftovers ended up looking like a storebought sushi platter.
As you may have noticed, I love supporting smaller independent businesses, especially if they turn out to be positive experiences. For those in London, Ontario or those planning to visit sometime in the future, I would definitely recommend a try at Cornerstone Sushi Ya to satisfy your Japanese food cravings!

-M

Cornerstone Sushi Ya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)