3/24/2014

B-b-b-baking: Rappin' Crackerz

It's getting to that point in the term where I have to start using things up. Sadly, this is probably the last of my baking until the summer. I know...tragic, ain't it? I happened to have a package of wonton wrappers in my freezer since the potluck we had about a month ago, but because other types of protein went on sale at Loblaws, I stocked up on all of that rather than ground meat. I mean, I could have made fish dumplings by grounding up my fish, but I thought of this after the fact. I'm not so sure that I would have liked eating 40ish fish dumplings over the span of 3 weeks anyways.

I was trying to look for creative ways to use wonton wrappers, but all of the things I got were just different dumpling fillings and/or different folding methods. Turns out, what I really should have consulted was Pinterest. Believe it or not, but I kind of just got into the Pinterest-y thing last week. It's like Imgur, but for artsy craftsy people! Basically, it's great.

One of the pictures was of "Parmesan Wonton Crackers". I'm not thaaat big on parmesan cheese, nor did I have any, but the cracker idea? Genius. It's around now that I'd be getting the munchies while working on the remaining term papers, and even better, I'd actually have a snack food at my disposal! So, I decided to throw together what I thought would make a cracker out of a wonton wrapper.

What I learned today about wonton wrappers:
- Some people think of wonton wrappers as "pasta" (i.e. Martha Stewart), which I suppose in essence it is, but Asian pasta just sounds weird.
- Pinterest is apparently a good source for creative ideas for anything! Including what to do with a package of wonton wrappers that linger in your freezer.
- Wonton wrappers are commonly used for a lot of different party foods! I wonder what my family would think about putting things like artichokes and cheese or pizza toppings inside wonton wrappers :S

I kept doing batches of 6. Clearly, I could have been more efficient by using more pans, but I was down to my last sheet of parchment paper.

Snacky munchie food for the paper-typing blues :D
Wonton Wrapper Crackers
1 package of wonton wrappers
2-3 Tbsp of olive oil
Sea salt
Sesame seeds

1. Preheat your oven to 350 F, and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Lay out 6-8 wonton wrappers flat in a single layer on the pan.
3. Brush each wrapper with a bit of olive oil, then sprinkle sesame seeds and sea salt to your liking.
4. Pop in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until browned and cracker-like, but not burnt.
5. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Munch away!

I have a tendency to eat an entire bag of chips or popcorn in one sitting (P can attest to that), so I hope these last a bit longer :/

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)