1/05/2015

Looking Back: 2014

Similarly to last year, I can't believe it's already 2015.

This past year has been quite something! As I opened my doors to new opportunities in life, I also opened my blog up to new horizons in BC, Ontario, and Quebec with my temporary move for school and professional development adventures, made and reunited with some wonderful friends, and made and ate some delicious things!

More accomplishments(?) for 2014 include the following...

  • My blog is now over 2 years old!
  • I fell in love with a place called, "The Bag Lady" in London, Ontario.
  • I spent Chinese New Year with extended family in Toronto!
  • I made my first loaf of sandwich bread and made it into French toast for my friends who didn't go away for Family Day.
  • I made some *bleep* good butternut squash soup for the first time thanks to my purchase of a Magic Bullet.
  • I grew my own basil and dill plants, named Hazel and Phil, respectively, but I lost them to aphids because I'm a terrible gardener/horticulturist.
  • I messed up a few batches of my go-to scones because I was too lazy to go out and get shortening or butter.
  • Some guy gave my dad some rhubarb, so I made pastries with it.
  • P and I made a freaking amazing masterpiece for Halloween - the Gastronomicon/Necro-om-nomicon, and devoured the entire thing...*grin*
  • I made lasagna for my parents and they didn't hate it!
  • I put potato chips into cookies and they turned out amazingly. There's no going back now...
  • I made some horrendous samosas that don't deserve to be called samosas - they were so bad that I couldn't even eat a whole one myself. The rest are currently sitting in the deep freeze, and P has said that he will take them, but I am afraid that they will just suffer the same fate as the black bean cookies of yesteryear.
  • Rather than letting my Tim Horton's giftcards from Christmas presents and badminton tournament prizes go to waste (because I am not much of a fan anymore, on the account of my parents going to Tim Horton's several times every week), I used them to provide breakfast and coffee to those who aren't as fortunate as me to have a safe and warm home with more than enough food.
  • P is still my #1 food companion/photographer/fan, and I hope that won't change.
  • I'm nearly at my 100th post! That day will probably call for confetti or something.


Things I want to work on include the following...

  • Getting a personalized domain site up and running!
  • Consistently using better quality photographs when I can afford it. (I still use the camera on my Samsung Galaxy SII, because that's all I have ._.)
  • Try more weird foods and discover new flavours in the world!
  • Find more hole-in-the-wall eateries, because more seems more doable than "all".
  • Broadening my knowledge of culinary techniques and fearing nothing!
  • And as always, maintain my blog so that I can
    • Remember what I ordered at a place I visited for the first time
    • Remember what something I ate looked like
    • Remember the good times and company I've had
    • Remember food and restaurants that I will rarely get the chance to visit
    • Document my culinary ups and downs in the kitchen
    • Share with others
    • Stare at them when I'm bored and there's nothing new on r/food
    • And lastly, to remember places I like to eat at and those that I do not like to eat at and should never go back to.
Thank you to everyone for supporting my continued blogging, especially P and friends who have to wait for me to take pictures of their food before eating. Here's to another year of wonderful food and friends and friendly foods! :)

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)