11/05/2015

Cravings: Jambalaya

Over the past few days, I have had this absurdly strong desire to try my hand at making jambalaya. It coincided with how I needed to use up the rest of the garlic bison sausage that I had purchased last weekend from Medicine Man Bison at Edmonton's own City Market. I had used it to make some ravioli and other pasta dishes, but after that, I wanted something a bit different.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the hideous ravioli I ended up making, when I typically have the habit of snapping the failures too. My apologies, but this was the dough! P made a delicious filling with chopped bison sausage and cream cheese and another with cremini mushrooms and grana padano to make up for it. Take my word for it - they looked pretty crappy, but tasted decent! I'll document my next trial more carefully!
Tuesday's lunch! Penne with cremini mushrooms, bison sausage slices, and homemade basil pesto!
And thus, my intense craving for jambalaya began to take its course...

What I learned today about jambalaya:
- It's freaking delicious. Somehow I've never had jambalaya before, and I'm sure there are better renditions out there than the one I made, but my goodness, is it good or what?
- Jambalaya is a well-known rice dish from Louisiana Creole cuisine. It's similar in concept to Spanish paella, which I have had before and love (I'll have to do a post about paella - it's one of P's favourite foods!), and French jambalala, but I have yet to try this. But the flavours are completely different.
- Even in Creole cuisine, there are different varieties of jambalaya. The more common one (which I made) is the urban Creole red version where it is tomato-based, and the meat (chicken, andouille sausage, and seafood), vegetables, and rice are all cooked together for up to an hour. The second-most common is the southern Creole rural brown version, which contains no tomatoes, and simmers together for at least an hour. The third one is the Cajun white version takes the shortest cook time, where the rice is cooked separately from the other ingredients, and the two parts are added together to serve.

Jambalaya! Not too typical given that it has bison sausage, gochujang, and lime juice in it, but it's good stuff, I swear.
The skull and crossbones on my water glass seems to imply that this jambalaya is extremely spicy, but I don't think it was. If it was, water would have been the wrong beverage to pick~ 
Unconventional Jambalaya (Adapted from The Food Network)
*Makes 3-4 servings*
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 lb. garlic bison sausage
1/2 medium yellow onion
1/2 green bell pepper
4 garlic cloves
3 cups unsalted chicken broth
2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1/4 cup frozen baby shrimp
2 green onions
1 lime

1. Measure the rice into a medium bowl and wash 2-3 times so that the water is no longer cloudy, drain, and set aside.
2. Dice the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Slice the sausage into thin ovals.
3. Add olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
4. Add the sausage to the pot to brown it a bit. Then add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook until they are tender.
5. Add chicken broth, tomato paste, gochujang, oregano, thyme, paprika, and chili powder, and bring to a rolling boil.
6. Add the rice and stir to combine. Once it is back up to a boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.
7. In the meantime, chop the green onions. Roll the lime on the counter while pressing lightly a few times, and cut the lime in half.
8. Once the rice has finished cooking, add the baby shrimp and half of the green onions. Squeeze the juice over top from both halves of the lime. Stir a few times, and allow to cook with the lid on over low heat for another 10-15 minutes. Make sure that all the shrimp are cooked through.
9. Turn off the heat, sprinkle the remaining green onions on top, and serve!

Devour, but beware that your bowl/plate might feel heavy from even a single serving...

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)