4/12/2016

Cravings: Mushrooms

There are two foods that I will probably never get sick of - potatoes and mushrooms. I absolutely love mushrooms. The only kind I don't like are called straw mushrooms. To me, they are gross, and for much of my childhood, I saw a Chinese dish full of them when we went for dinners with family friends...but back to why I love mushrooms!

Things I learned today about mushrooms:
- Mushrooms are freaking awesome, but I knew that already.
- Mushrooms don't have any chlorophyll like their many veggie cousins, so they don't need sunlight to grow! What beasts!
- Check out this amazing list of facts about mushrooms, and/or learn how to grow your own mushroom farm!
- Superior Mushrooms in Ardrossan is Alberta's oldest mushroom farm. I should visit them one day...

I stayed at home today for a mental health day off from work, and decided to lay on the comfort with a wonderfully, decadent, mushroom-y lunch. 

Jumbo white mushrooms from Superstore. Toaster oven for scale.
Serve with your choice of starch and green to keep it vegetarian, or throw in some protein to unleash your omnivorous side! I opted for a mashed potato and some green salad drizzled with Garlic EVOO and Cask 18 balsamic from Oliv Tasting Room.
Stuffed Mushrooms
**Makes 2 servings**
6 large white or cremini mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
5 Tbsp Mushroom Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from Oliv Tasting Room)
4 wedges of The Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb
A toaster oven

1. Line your toaster oven tray with parchment paper.
2. Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms so that the caps stay in tact. 
3. Brush about 2 Tbsp mushroom oil all over the mushroom caps, and place them upside down on the tray.
4. Set the temperature to 350 F and bake the mushroom caps for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, finely chop the mushroom stems and garlic. 
6. Add 2 Tbsp mushroom oil to a pan over medium heat, and lightly fry the mushrooms and garlic. 
7. In a small bowl, add the cheese wedges, and pour the hot topping over them. Mix until evenly combined.
8. Evenly distribute the filling between the mushroom caps. Drizzle with the remaining Tbsp of mushroom oil, and put them back into the toaster oven. 
9. Change the setting back to toast/450 F and bake for 5 minutes until slightly browned on the tops.
10. Remove from the toaster oven and enjoy. 

Super quick and easy, not to mention tasty! Great for appies, party food, and well, I guess lunch.

-M

P.S. I can assure you that I am not being paid to promote Oliv Tasting Room products. I am just obsessed with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)