6/29/2013

Budget-Friendly Bites: Viet Subs!!!

Okay, so first of all, whoever hasn't had a Viet sub yet neeeeeds to have one. I can't believe I only started eating them in 2013! Where the heck have I been? Thank goodness for P!

For a really good Vietnamese submarine sandwich or "banh mi" for a pretty darn good price, people should check out Nhon Hoa 2 (10622-97 Street) in Chinatown, just next door to the Italian Bakery on 97 Street. Seriously. Like most places in Chinatown, it looks quite shady and small, and without prompting, one might not venture inside. Even inside, the place is rather modest.

I didn't actually know the name of this place until I took a look this time, (i.e. visit #4).
Even inside, the place is pretty modest as with most Chinatown business tenants. But things are kept quite clean, and food is always prepared and handled with gloves.  
They also sell various other Vietnamese foods, drinks, and desserts, which you could try as well :) I have at one time tried their salad rolls which are quite nice. I'm curious to one day try the sticky dessert rice just because I love me some sticky rice! 
Like in Subway, you have a choice of fixings to add to your sandwich. The best move is just to get everything - cucumbers, chili peppers, pickled carrots, and cilantro. For one, I don't like pickled carrots, but the whole thing put together in the Viet sub is perfect harmony. You also have the option of adding (or not adding) liver pate, which to me, doesn't really matter as the taste is quite faint. 
P and I headed to the Legislature grounds to have a picnic. As you can see, his modelling career has certainly flourished, for he now features his lower abdomen, his knees, and a smidge of foot. Oh how far he has come...

The sandwich pictured is Vietnamese Submarine Combination #3. It has the special combination of Vietnamese deli meats on a toasted and buttered baguette with all your fixings. All for a swell price of only $3.75 (including tax)! There are quite a few sandwiches you can get for about that price, and I find it more appetizing and surprisingly filling than a footlong that isn't always $5 at Subway. 
Am I trying to coax you into the land of Asian sandwiches? Yes. Yes, I am.

Doooo it.

-M

Nhon Hoa 2 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)