7/04/2014

Love for the Locals: Art Is In!

Our stay in Ottawa was short, but wonderful. P insisted that I should visit the Art Is In Bakery (Units 112-114, 250 City Centre Avenue, Ottawa, ON), so on the morning of the last day, I did! The play on words is already enough to draw me in! They were actually featured on the Food Network's "You Gotta Eat Here!" hosted by John Catucci upon his visit to Ottawa, so why not see what it was all about?

Art Is In Bakery is located in a sort of strip mall, minus the mall part. Both the retail and warehouse locations are in that strip, so make sure you go to the one with the red, circular sign in front when you visit :P It's a bit of an odd space that resembles a loading dock, but as you step inside, it's hard not to notice the piles of freshly baked loaves of bread. They are so beautiful that you are tempted to take them all, but you probably shouldn't, but maybe you should. It seems that some people have been a bit critical about the place as of late, but I beg to differ. I think that the atmosphere is very unique compared to other bakeries and cafes I've been to, as it isn't so focused on the decor, but their products are lovely, and that is more than enough for me.

Art Is In Bakery!
All the lovely loaves of bread for all to see!
They spell their Kronut with a K. I'm not sure why, but it sure looks decadent.
Their pizzas looked really good too...
Doris got the Breakfast Sandwich made with fresh sourdough, eggs, bacon, cheese, and homemade ketchup that tasted more like a chutney. I stole a little piece of the sourdough from Doris' sandwich, and it was so good that I bought a loaf. 

My breakfast didn't consist of very much nutrition, but it consisted of very much deliciousness. I had a Raspberry Financier (a small cake with raspberry filling, topped with sliced almonds), an the Chocolate Almond Croissant (pain au chocolat with almonds inside and out, topped with icing sugar). They were so good. I felt bad after, but only because my breakfast was dessert, and so was my lunch from the day prior when I had a BeaverTail and froyo.

Chai Latte! It had been a long time since I last had a latte...I have to say that this wasn't the best latte, but it helped cut all the sweetness I got from my "breakfast". 
About an hour after we came, the line built up very quickly...and this was 10:30am on a Wednesday!

The delicious loaf of Keith's White Sourdough that I bought.
All in all, despite what others may say, I think that Art Is In Bakery is worthwhile to visit. I haven't had an actual meal from Art Is In yet, so perhaps they are lacking in that department, but in terms of their bakery part, that is definitely not the case. They had a wide selection of things in their display, and I really had a hard time picking what to have. One of the local regulars suggested the Chocolate Almond Croissant, so that is what I had. I'd love to come back and try their other savoury goods.

-M

Art Is in Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)