1/14/2013

Love for the Locals: Creole Envie

I've been falling a bit behind in my posts because for whatever reason, Blogger won't let me upload photos on my computer. The photos in this post were first transferred from my phone camera to my computer, and emailed to myself, so that I could save them on my iPad mini (which E gave me for Christmas), upload to my blog via the app, and edit via Blogger on my computer. I really hope Blogger figures itself out sometime soon, because the task was a little bit daunting.

Aside from that, I have decided to start a new segment entitled, "Love for the Locals". It will feature authentic local eateries from the heart of Edmonton. I feel that a lot of these gems are so underexposed, and people need to know about them, so I'll start with Creole Envie.

Creole Envie is an independent, creole/cajun food business run by chef and darling, Danielle Majeau. Although she now runs a restaurant, take-out and catering are still available options! I had the pleasure of meeting her through a coworker from one of my summer workplaces, coincidentally named Danielle. Chef Majeau is a sweet lady, evidently passionate about what she does. My coworker, Danielle and I decided to enjoy dinner at Creole Envie tonight.

 
Believe it or not, but Creole Envie originally opened on Stony Plain Road in the summer. It was mainly a catering business, but with the higher demand for seated dining on Danielle's amazing food among other things, they closed down and reopened in a small restaurant located on 112th Avenue (easily accessible by one train ride to Stadium, and a bus transfer on the 2). 
Along with the help of some friends, and her sweetie of a husband, Scott, Chef Majeau created a beautiful space where the Highlands Kitchen used to be, next to La Boheme. The interior follows a classy, but cozy theme of deep purples, reds, white and black. As my coworker put it, Creole Envie gives off the vibe that you're just entering someone's humble abode, decorated with these cute, lacy curtains. You're given the opportunity to enjoy fine dining, without the high strung feeling that normally goes with it, and in its place, a warm family welcome. :)
Entrez-vous~
This is where Danielle and I sat :)
I don't know what it is about blackboards, but I love 'em.

 
 

Normally, I don't gush over washrooms, but they were so cute. Are you a "Po' Boy" or a "Po' Girl"? Beyond cute. You could appreciate the New Orleans decor on the coat hooks, as well as a naturally Magnolia-scented hand soap made specifically for Creole Envie. Love love love. :)

 

Of course, the most important part was the food. My coworker, Danielle and I dined on a Groupon which allowed us to spend up to a $31 value for only $15 (plus tips, of course). Tonight's dinner was way more than what we bargained for.

My coworker, Danielle, and Chef Majeau have been long time friends from even before the birth of Creole Envie. As a result, I get the heck spoiled out of me. She served us dessert before we even ordered. Danielle and I set them aside for after dinner, but we lost the battle and had to take them home with us.
This Po' Boy was an open-and-shut case of amazing. Generous slices of green tomatoes, battered and deepfried, on a bed of shredded lettuce, fresh red tomato slices, sweet pickles, and Chef Majeau's magically amazing cajun mayo. Normally, I am not a fan of pickles, but the way that this sandwich was constructed, you could taste each individual ingredient, and it was nothing short of amazing. You can't really see it in the picture, but this sandwich was about the length of my two hands holding the thing. You could not take a bite without having to wipe your mouth each time.
Sweet potato fries. Yeah. You think you've had good sweet potato fries? Well, you haven't unless you've tried Chef Majeau's along with her homemade dipping sauce. No need to wipe oil and grease from your fingers, because it's not there.
The following is actually from my very first visit to Creole Envie before school started, which was also with Danielle. I managed to catch them literally on the day they closed down the old place on Stony Plain Road...
This is what was the Fried Catfish Po' Boy. It was amazing then, and is probably even moreso now.
Creole Envie is a must-try if you're in Edmonton. Dadeo's ain't got nothin' on this bunch, and I vow to return.

If you're still interested in the Groupon, the deal is still on for 2 more days, and you can get a Creole meal for 2 or 4!

As well, the Edmonton Fork Fest could not come at a better time, and guess who's on the list! Creole Envie, that's who. The Fork Fest runs from January 20-24 and January 27-31. Check out their website to see who else is on the list, and view the menus!

-M

Creole Envie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)