1/29/2013

Love for the Locals: Hung Phat Vietnamese Noodle House

On a crazy cold day in Edmonton like today, something warm for the throat and stomach is a pretty good go-to. Something like...oh, I don't know...pho? Upon my 5th or 6th visit to the place, I decided to actually take pictures and do this post on Hung Phat, a Vietnamese noodle place in a strip mall across from the CN Rail stuff on 99th Street.

Since my first visit, I have to say that Hung Phat is probably my favourite place for Vietnamese noodles now. The only disappointment for me would be that they don't have any pho with tripe :( I like tripe a lot.
They open at 11 every day of the week, and it's advisable to arrive around then,  because by noon, the place is packed! I guess word has gotten around. We got there at about 12:30, and there were only two small tables for 2 left.
Contrary to what I just said, I opted for a bowl of vermicelli when my dad took me for lunch. He got a bowl of pho with medium rare beef and meatballs. I've had pho at Hung Phat before and it's pretty good! The texture of the noodles is perfectly cooked, and the mix of spices in the broth is slightly different from your average Vietnamese noodle soup, and in a good way!
This is #46, Grilled Beef on Vermicelli. The Sriracha was my doing, but I only put a little bit for the purpose of the picture. There were 2 more layers of Sriracha in the consumption process :P
I wanted to take a picture of how full it was, so you guys could see, but there were two people right next to us, and this lady kept looking at me all funny, so I had to wait until she left. Unfortunately, more people had finished already as well.


After the 12-1 rush, the buzz is totally different.
I've been to Pagolac, Pho Hoa, and a few other Vietnamese places in Edmonton, but I really appreciate the atmosphere and service as well as the food here a bit more. I don't know what it is, but I think that Hung Phat is worth a try :)

-M

Hung Phat Vietnamese Noodle House on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Will have to try it sometime. Have you been to Tau Bay? Their Pho is probably the best in town :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ply! It's probably a crime, but I actually haven't been to Tau Bay or King Noodle. I'll definitely post about it when I get the chance to visit them though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)