9/05/2012

Cardio and Cooking: Green and Red

This is the first of a segment that I am going to call "Cardio and Cooking". They will be little episodes of my trail and error baking and cooking as I learn more about the world of food!

For instance, this morning, I decided to try something new - avocados. I've had avocados before in things like guacamole and California rolls, but never in a beverage, so this was going to be different.

According to the internet and numerous food bloggers, avocados are a good source of magnesium and healthy fats. They also happen to give things a creamy consistency alike bananas. I don't like bananas very much, but they are a good source of potassium, and sometimes you can hide the taste, so it's not so bad. But from my baking experience, if you don't want your bread/muffins/cakes/etc. to have a banana taste, don't add bananas. Whenever you add a banana, the product will then become "Banana whatever-you-just-made", and to me, that is undesirable :P

Things I have learned today about avocados:
-Pitting an avocado is actually that easy. Just use a knife to slice it down the middle all the way around, swivel the two halves back and forth so that they come apart. To remove the pit, hack it lightly with your knife, and it pops right out!
-Avocados are very rich. It makes for a nice creamy beverage, but like anything, too much of a good thing can be kind of gross. Do not use the whole avocado (like I did...durrr) unless you are serving more than one person.


Hooray for IKEA mugs! Unfortunately, the one glass glass in my house was being used, so I couldn't properly exhibit the magical wonder of my avocado smoothie.
My Avocado Breakfast Smoothie (Makes 3-4 servings)
1 ripe avocado
1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
3 tbsp quick-cooking rolled oats
3-4 ice cubes
1 tbsp pure honey

I just throw everything in the blender at the same time and then liquify. I know...no finesse, but it gets done!

Super simple, but super rich. Seeing as I am the only maker and drinker of smoothies in my house, I will be drinking an avocado smoothie after my morning runs for the next couple of days. I have learned my lesson > <

------------

I only had to work a half-day today, so E and I went grocery shopping so we could make dinner together tonight. We haven't had one of these days for a long time...probably about a year, so it was really nice.

There were some decently-priced steaks, so we picked up a package of filet mignon, some mushrooms, and garlic bread.

I hadn't cooked or eaten filet mignon in a long while, so man...it was good. I don't eat red meat very often because I'm not a huge fan of it. Luckily, I was in the mood for beef today, and well, you might as well go big or go home, right? :P

Things I have learned today about filet mignon:
-Filet mignon tastes good with any kind of spice, even if Clubhouse says the spice mix is for salmon.

Medium-rare filet mignon, white mushrooms, and garlic toast. Yum!
Filet Mignon for Rookies
1. Turn on the broiler. If you need to, set your cooking temperature to 450 degrees F (Does anyone know how to type the degrees symbol? I am a total noob when it comes to computers. :/)
2. While your oven is pre-heating, take the time to marinate your steak if you haven't done so overnight.  Brush all sides lightly with whatever cooking oil you use so that it doesn't burn. Dress with spices you like. I just took random stuff in my boyfriend's cupboards...Clubhouse "Salmon", black pepper, and sea salt.
3. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil on a baking pan, and spread your steaks on the pan.
4. Our steaks were about 2 inches thick, so you may need to adjust things accordingly. If your steaks are about 2 inches thick like ours were, leave at least 4 inches of space between the heat source and your steaks in the oven, and broil for 8 min.
5. While your steaks are broiling, take this time to prepare your side dishes. (I just tossed mushroom slices in some honey, soy sauce, and black pepper. We threw the garlic bread in the toaster oven.)
6. Remove from the oven and flip the steaks over. Broil for another 6 min.
7. Remove from the oven and allow the steaks to rest for a few minutes so that all the juices can run through the meat evenly.
8. Enjoy!

I think this should suffice for a second blog entry, don't you think? ;)

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)