9/06/2012

B-b-b-baking: Mocha-Choco-Coco? Chya.

I know this is my second post today, but this was so post-worthy.

(Note: This cannot count as "Cardio and Cooking" because it is a dessert that contains sugar and sugar and sugar and chocolate. This will not help you drop the tummy unless you've been on a cupcake-only diet for your whole life, and you somehow have survived up until now.)

Guys, I have a confession to make...

I don't like chocolate.

But. BUT! I have just made a chocolate cake I would eat more than one piece of. Delicate, dark chocolatey goodness. OH yes...

This week, I was thinking about this can of coconut milk sitting in my basement pantry. I wanted to make Thai Coconut Rice for E, but he didn't want me to, so scratched that plan. Then, BAM! One of my new favourite food blogs from this summer, "How Sweet It Is" (www.howsweeteats.com), has this amazing-looking cupcake recipe for "Mocha Coconut Frappuccino Cupcakes", and it has coconut milk. SCORE.

Things I have learned today about coconut milk:
-You can actually make your own coconut milk from scratch by using shredded coconut, hot water, and a heat-resistant blender, cheesecloth, and a sieve. I didn't do that though. I don't have half of those things, so I went with a good ol' can of Aroy-D.
-Coconut milk seems to make cake more fluffy and light. This is good because I don't have any fancy cake flour, and I have found that the flour and cornstarch trick doesn't totally work. Buttermilk works better, but I don't want a whole big carton of buttermilk. I've already experienced that.
-1 14 fl. oz. can of Aroy-D Coconut Milk is good enough for 2 batches of these bad boys. >:)

It's on a plate. It's just that my stove top and my plate are both white, and they're both clean. Yay for sanitation!
Mocha-Choco-Coco Cupcakes (adapted from How Sweet It Is)
1 egg
3/4 cup golden yellow sugar
3/4 cup (+ 2 tbsp extra) coconut milk
1/2 cup corn oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp instant coffee
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp table salt
1/3 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with 12 large paper liners.
2. Whisk egg and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth.
3. Add 3/4 cup coconut milk, corn oil, and vanilla, and mix until just combined.
4. In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, instant coffee, baking soda, and salt.
5. Sift dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and fold with a spatula until just combined.
6. Fold in remaining 2 tbsp of coconut milk.
7. Fold in chocolate chips.
8. Use a leveled off 1/4 cup measure to fill each muffin cup. (That lady is amazing! 12 perfect cupcake portions!)
9. Bake for 20-25 min.
10. Remove from oven and space cupcakes out on cooling rack.

Once cooled, enjoy right away, or pack them for you friends at badminton! Whatever floats your boat! ;)

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)