9/16/2012

Cravings: Thick Toast

I've been having serious munchies for toast lately. Not regular toast though. Fluffy, warm, gooey, thick toast. You know, the Asian comfort food kind.

I could have posted about one of my new favourite Asian snack places, Gama Store (10418-82 Avenue), but that will have to wait for another day because I haven't been pausing to photograph food before consuming it entirely. They happened to be one of my stops for thick toast, not that I have many options in Edmonton to begin with...

I made E take me for thick toast 2 days in a row. I could have taken the time to do some sort of comparison like a thick toast throwdown if only my appetite wasn't so barbaric.

On Monday, we went to Tasty Choice (#107, 2920 Calgary Trail) for toast. According to some other Edmonton food blogs, their toast was pretty good, but after mine and E's experience, I beg to differ. It wasn't bad per se, but it definitely want what we expected. We picked two kinds: I got Matcha and E got coconut. E made the wiser choice...the coconut was better. However, in both cases, they gave us two slices of your typical Safeway bread toast cut in half diagonally, drenched in butter, with clumps of Matcha or coconut topping stuff. E and I both agreed that it totally would have been fine if the toast was thick like it was supposed to be...but in their defense, the menu just said toast and not thick toast, and they did give you 2 slices of toast. Each order costed 3.50 (plus tax)...a little much for what we got :/ but enough to satisfy the munchies.

On Tuesday, we went to Gama Store and it was much better. I picked Coconut Taiwanese Toast, crossing my fingers. Then again, I've never had a poor experience at Gama as of yet. I will do a post on them the next time we go. Back to the story. The toast was thick just like it was supposed to be, rounded on one side instead of square, but I can live with that. The coconut spread was delicious and they gave you a good amount. The inky wilted thing was that the guy put chocolate sprinkles on top in such a way that it kind of resemble mouse poo. But yum. That was the toast that I wanted. Their thick toast is generally 2.50 (including tax!) and they know how to do it correctly, so I'd recommend going there if you're in the pickle I was in.

On Wednesday, we decided to go get a loaf of Texas Toast. Even though Gama had slightly cheaper thick toast, as usual, things are more economical if made at home. Luckily for us, it happened to be on sale at Safeway for 2/$4. I have peanut butter, condensed milk, and shredded coconut at home so I was pretty prepared.

Things I have learned today about thick toast:
- Thick toast is relatively easy and inexpensive to make. It would be even easier and more energy efficient to make with a toaster oven.
- Thick toast is good at any time of the day.
- There are only 2 places that offer thick toast that are not in Edmonton Chinatown. I haven't tried places in Chinatown. I don't even know where those places are, if they do exist.

I ended up making my peanut butter brick toast this morning for breakfast as you can see below. It was my attempt to stay in the lines but satisfy my craving all in the same.
Peanut Butter Thick Toast
1 slice Texas Toast
1 tbsp peanut butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Prepare a small pie pan with parchment paper.
3. Use a knife to score a "#" pattern onto the bread but not all the way through. Just enough to let the peanut butter seep everywhere.
4. Slather on the peanut butter across the surface of the bread.
5. Bake for 6 min.
6. Turn it 180 degrees and bake again for another 4 min. You can also take this time to throw on some chocolate chips or shredded coconut. I didn't have time, and that would easily add extra taboos into my breakfast. :/
7. Top with fruits or whatever else to your liking or eat it as is.

Mmm...toasty, smooth, fluffy goodness...

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! It means a lot to know you stopped by! :)